San Angelo Writers Club
The San Angelo Writers Club was founded in 1986 to promote fellowship, mutual learning, and support among writers in all media.
The San Angelo Writers Club meets the second Tuesday of every month at First Place, 14 Harris Street, San Angelo, Texas. Coffee and snacks are served at 6:30 pm and the presentations begin at 7:00 pm. Membership is $20.00 per year.
- The San Angelo Writers Club is taking a writing break for the summer. The next meeting will be in September.
- September 11 – Dr. Chris Ellery, “Literature and Values.” Dr. Ellery teaches courses in creative writing, American literature and film studies at Angelo State University. Among other honors, Ellery won first prize in the eighth biennial X.J. Kennedy Awards for Creative Nonfiction for his memoir, “A Boy of Bethany.” In 2016, he published his fourth book of original poems, this one titled “Elder Tree.”
- October 9 – Presentation TBA.
- November 13 – Presentation TBA
- December – Holiday party for members and guests. Time and location TBA. Members talk about their projects and read from their work.
- September 15-17 – Permian Basin Writer’s Workshop, Midland
- October 27 – 50th Anniversary Rededication of the Porter Henderson Library, 2 p.m. See blog post.
- November 4-5 – Texas Book Festival, Austin
- July 18 – Meet the Author – Matt de la Pena. The Stephens Central Library is holding a Meet the Author at 2 p.m. Tuesday, July 18, in the library’s third floor Suggs Community Room, 33 W. Beauregard. Brooklyn resident Matt de la Pena, author of children’s books and young adult novels, is the featured guest. His titles include “The Hunted,” “We Were Here” and “Mexican Whiteboy.” He won the 2016 Newberry Medal for “Last Stop on Market Street” and has written two books in Scholastic’s multimedia Infinity Ring series, “Curse of the Ancients” and “Eternity.”
- June 12 – Members of the the club read their recent prose and poetry. A new website (this site) was discussed.
- May 9 – The Art of the Book. John Osterhout, author of The Schnoz of the Rings, a Lord of the Rings parody, discussed how to give the interior of your book a professional look.
- April 11 – Cynthia Jordan, writer and recording artist, discussed her recent Gem Trilogy Pearl, Diamond, and Ruby. Cynthia also discussed her experiences as a writer, publisher, and recording artist.
- March 13 – Laurence Musgrove, writer and professor of English, spoke about the 21st annual Angelo State University Writers Conference featuring Anne Hillerman.
- February 14 – Mike Thompson spoke to the Writers Club about his experiences in writing and publishing. Mike is a prolific writer of western novels. Among his well known novels are Grit, Wolf Point, and the recent The Turbulent Trail.
- January 10 – Stan Denny read and discussed his poetry.